[BangPypers] if we compare Rails and django

Gora Mohanty gora at srijan.in
Sat May 1 09:15:05 CEST 2010

On Sat, 1 May 2010 11:44:13 +0530
"BR!j!TH" <brijithp at gmail.com> wrote:

> If I want to create a web app with lots of ajax,java scripts and
> also video streaming etc
[...]

Both RoR and Django should be able to address this. You should be
thinking more along the lines of:
* Your developers, and their expertise: Are they already well-versed
  in one of the two frameworks, and/or one of the two languages
  behind each?
* Are there any particular pre-made applications for either
  framework that you can leverage to your needs?
* Are there any drawbacks for the framework in question that
  becomes a show-stopper for your use case?
* Are there any advantages for the framework in question, e.g.,
  does the Django admin. interface help?

Google also turns up many links comparing Django, and RoR, e.g.,
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dcn8282p_1hg4sr9

Personally speaking, I am more comfortable with Django, but that is
probably also because I have only experimented with RoR. My one key
point of differentiation is how easy it is to read, and understand
code in Python, and Django. As compared to that, RoR, has too much
magic behind the scenes, IMHO (Some parts of the Django admin.
being the exception here).

Regards,
Gora