[BangPypers] designing programs

Saju Pillai srp at ideadevice.com
Fri Jun 25 09:07:25 CEST 2010

As most answers on this list imply, "software design" is a very "personal"
thing. For a lot of programmers there is no explicit "design phase" - they
just start coding. Some others need a "talking board" - usually another
programmer or sometimes even the ether.

I am allergic to any design tool more complex than pen & paper. UML may
cause violent spontaneous combustion. Most of these design tools are
"designed by committee" with the explicit goal of taking an average guy and
have him/her produce enterprise class code at the lowest cost.

Usually "just start coding", ability to write reusable modular code and
willingness to rewrite some portions works the best for folks I know.

-srp

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:39 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
> <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org
> >wrote:
> >
> >> hi,
> >>
> >> what tools do people use when designing software? I tried dia once or
> twice
> >> but found it rather cumbersome
> >>

> >  For me it is almost always a long walk, with just the ideas
> >  floating inside my head. After the end of it, I will have it
> >  sorted out mostly.
> >
> >  Dia/UML ? That is for enterprise or team software. If this is about
> >  designing your own stuff as a 1 man army, all you need as tools
> >  is a pencil and paper.
>
> UML definitely sounds too enterprisey.
>
> I'd go low-tech as well but I'd use a pen rather than a pencil. :)
>

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in

Idea Device