[BangPypers] designing programs

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 07:31:34 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:52:47AM +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> I am not talking of ui design - I am talking about program design. I do not
> know what the technical word for it is but what I mean is that when a program
> has to do something one has to sketch out the data structures and functions
> that are needed to get the thing done with the least possible effort.

This is an interesting question. Here are my thoughts on it.

- If you can identify the design pattern that your program might fall
  into, it would be best. Most often by reading and modelling after
  the existing ones or using libraries we tend to use the design
  patterns. So adopting the pattern might be a second or a later step.

- Write the Problem Definition in English/Native language.

- Write the Answer in English/Native language.If the Answer is more
  than one step. Write down in to distinct points. If there are any
  interactions, note it down.

- Give function names for your answers and draw the connection. While
  using python, it is not necessary to settle on the parameters in
  the first shot, you come back to it later.

- Make the first small program which does something and then improve
  it to do something more.

You can do it all in any editor or in piece of paper.

HTH,

--
Senthil