[BangPypers] Refactoring

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:13:54 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Vijay Ramachandran <vijay750 at gmail.com>wrote:

>  On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
>
> > abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >  Sorry to follow up my post with another one, but here is an old link fro
> > JOS related to this, which is still relevant.
> >
> > http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html
> >

> This post talks about completely throwing away the old code base -
> rewriting
> - and not refactoring. The former is typically motivated by the universal
> disdain one feels about inherited code and a certain amount of hubris, the
> second is motivated by pragmatism, and a need to change the code base to
> make it more maintainable and extensible. Two completely different things!

  Exactly. What I was trying to say is, refactor as much as possible and
only
  throw away and rewrite in the absolutely worst case scenario which is
  what the article also illustrates with popular examples of the 90s.

 The moot point is that very few people actually throw away and
 rewrite, almost never in the open source world. Open source is equivalent
 to iterative refactoring in a way.

> cheers,
> Vijay
>
> --