[BangPypers] refactoring

Sidu Ponnappa lorddaemon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:00:47 CET 2010

> This may not
>  be true with badly written or maintained systems, which is why
>  many people shudder at the thought of refactoring their code base.
>  In such houses the thinking is, "if it works, leave it alone", an attitude
>  that is the exact opposite of the refactor.

Actually, the book is pretty good at helping out with this as well. There's
this other book that I keep meaning to read called 'Working Effectively with
Legacy Code' that has been recommended to me quite strongly by several
people I respect.

> > 'No self respecting developer could function without having read the
> > > refactoring book'.
> >

>  I just realized that I am not a self-respecting developer after reading
> this.
>  Will try to keep it that way by continuing to avoid this book...

I'm more worried that a perfectly good book and certain engineering
practices that I find hugely useful will be ignored either because of
sweeping, religious statements by zealots, or because a bunch of people have
made an industry creating buzzwords around otherwise sensible practices like
TDD, refactoring, or yes, even Agile. Just because they're buzzwords doesn't
mean they're useless. I'm sure 'goto free code' was once looked at in a
similar manner in the 1960s, but today everybody accepts that philosophy.

Best,
Sidu.