[BangPypers] Object Oriented Python - Advice on books

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:52:48 CET 2010

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Venkatraman S <venkat83 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Most of the people(especially newbies) get into OO without knowing what the
> language has to offer, and they overdo OO.

If they do Python, they are doing OO.
So if they over do python, they are overdoing OO. :)

> I have seen some dreaded
> java-comes-into-python
> code -- especially something as simple as a singleton pattern.

I think, you mean writing a program in particular language in a
"idiomatic way". Nothing to do with OO here.
Singleton patterns do not really apply in Python world.

> anything against OO, i just asked the OP to do a self-analysis on where he
> stands on the

That's what I found it wrong. It is not required for him to do a
self-analysis to study OO.
Python is a completely OO language from ground up. If you learn
python, you are learning OO.
Only thing is, "if you care", you might just have to get the terms
right as the rest of the world knows or expects.

> But still you can refute me, thats the beauty of the online medium :)

And together we learn. :)

--
Senthil