[BangPypers] Wall street may embrace Python

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Tue Apr 27 07:54:12 CEST 2010

On Monday 26 Apr 2010 5:52:49 pm Anand Balachandran Pillai wrote:
> > And FWIW - no, I didn't read the 667 page PDF :)
>
> I downloaded it and went through it, counting the # of times Python
> is mentioned as an exercise . It is not a joke and Python is mentioned
> not only in page 1, but in pages 6, 18, 205, 206, 210, 212, 213, 214, 216,
> 217, 316, 428 and 489 - so that there is no doubt :)
>
> It is easy. The link is below, just download and verify yourselves.

well I have read it, and realise it is not a joke. Of course the people who
wrote it do not have a very good understanding of open source (and even do not
know how to spell perl). For those who have not read it, here is a summary of
what they propose.

1. A company issuing a prospectus has a computer model for predicting various
scenarios depending on the various factors input. Based on this model they
price things and promise returns etc. There are many many factors to be input.

2. This computer program should be made available to the investing public as
part of the prospectus so that they can test out by inputting their variables

3. The program should not be in executable form as that is a security hazard,
hence an interpreted language is required as the program must be in source
code form

4. Python is an open source language and interpreted, so it fulfills the
criteria

5. Java, C# etc are commercial languages and their compilers are closed and
proprietary and so the source code cannot be made available for download. (why
source code of a proprietary language cannot be made available for download is
not explained here)

6. It is desirable that *all* companies use the same programming language to
avoid confusion and have uniformity.

yes - what the US govt proposes is not a joke - but the article that set off
slashdot is certainly one written with tongue firmly in cheek.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves