[BangPypers] Perl or Python ?

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 06:12:24 CEST 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 Oct 2009 12:41:31 am Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Abhishek Mishra <ideamonk at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > > Well I don't know about power and job prospects, but I remember
> > > reading ESR's 'Why Python' - http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
> > > before starting to learn it.
> >
> > Probably flame bait but does anyone take ESR seriously these days?
>
> nobody ever took him seriously, but some of his essays have had and still
> have
> a huge influence - Cathedral and Bazaar, how to ask smart questions and the
> article on pytho.

 The fact is that real good hackers don't care about the language they use,
 but in the quality of the code they write in that language. There are a few
kinds
 of public faces in coding that I have observed - the ones who use language
 as a kind of tool to sell their ideas and their businesses (Bruce Eckel)
and
 often to boost their egos (Eric Raymond) and those smart speakers who
 are silent and goes about their work in doing consulting and speaking
 opportunities, but doesn't make a big noise about languages, tools they
 use (Bruce Perens).

 Then there are language cult geeks who have made a persona from the
 languages and tools they are using (why-the-lucky-stiff for Ruby) and
 has an aura that rises above the language itself.

 The final category is the uber developer who is expert in anything he
 uses and produces working, quality code that runs under and above
 these language/product runtimes and make things tick - examples abound
 namely Frederick Lundh, Raymond Hettinger, Tim Peters in the Python
 world and another hacker I worship, namely Jamie Zawinski.

 Btw,  I use the term "hacker" to mean programmer/developer, not its
 old meaning which is a guy who subverts systems for criminal purposes -
 he is known as a "cracker" now a days.

> --
> regards
> Kenneth Gonsalves