[BangPypers] Perl or Python ?

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Oct 12 17:19:42 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Gopinath R <gopiindian86 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> It is my pleasure finding this mailing list. I am a Open Source guy. but not
>> an expert. I m strong in Shell Scripting. I need to learn one more open
>> source language for excellent job opportunities.
>>
>> I am bit confused in choosing it. I need your suggestions
>>
>> i should go for PERL or PYTHON. Which one is powerful and will give you more
>> job opportunities?
>
> Job opportunities? I expect Java, C++ or C# rather than Perl/Python.
>
> Languages should be seen as tools to solve problems and not as career
> decisions.
>
> Perl and Python shine in different domains and have different
> applications (although there is some overlap).

Given the OP: PERL or PYTHON. Which one

I would say Python.  I would also recommend first learning the basic
syntax, up to list comprehensions, exceptions and classes.  (lamda,
decorators and metaclasses can come later.) once you know the basic
syntax, pick some specialty/project:

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net  http://carlfk.blip.tv/file/2557425
plotting library
http://www.djangoproject.com/ web framework
http://www.reportlab.org/ PDF library

Something that interests you - get involved.  great way to learn the
language and a project.

--
Carl K