[BangPypers] [ANN][X-Post] SciPy India conference in Dec. 2009

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Oct 7 12:39:05 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 07 Oct 2009 3:57:14 pm Anand Chitipothu wrote:
> > because plone is a killer app and has killed all the other python CMS's
>
> So you agreed to my point.
>
> 1. Plone is difficult to customize

customise as in maybe interfacing it with an RDBMS - otherwise it is dead easy
to add new apps - and there are zillions of them.

> 2. There are no good CMS softwares written in Python other than Plone

yes, as far as I know. Incidentally this is not a mere academic discussion for
me. I am engaged in a major war in Chennai LUG about what kind of website is
needed. One side wants drupal, the other side says that drupal has too much
bloat and too many unwanted features and it is better to have a simple site
with minimal features. So we have two sites as demos and the users have to
choose between them. One in drupal. The other in django. Both with minimal
features. The problem arose because the old site was in drupal and it got
cracked and all the old data was lost. you can see the two sites at

http://demo.ilugc.org.in
and
http://demo.ilugc.in

this unfortunate blog post would have tilted a lot of votes against me -
fortunately the attention span of the average php/drupal phanbhoy is minimal
and no one noticed it.

the difference between the two sites is that the django site has only what is
seen - the other one has a zillion features, all of them disabled. I leave it
to you to guess which is which.

So why only one python CMS? Mainly because most developers (as opposed to
weekend warriors) can so easily make sites *precisely* suited to the needs in
python, that no one realy needs a CMS with a million unused features.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves