[BangPypers] Google Go

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 13:00:05 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 5:22 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai <
abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
> > <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [..]
> > >  "The company says that Go is experimental, and that it combines the
> > > performance and security benefits associated with using a compiled
> > language
> > > like C++ with the speed of a dynamic language like Python"
> >
> > Perhaps they meant speed of development and the security associated
> > with strong static typing.
> >

>  Upon 2nd reading, I also thought they did, but not a very good
>  disambiguation there I daresay. But "security benefits associated to
>  a compiled language" -  I fall flat there since I don't see any
>  correlation with a language being compiled and its security!
>
>  Pretty shoddy marketing this...

That's what the big boys of the world wants you to believe. I had met a very
senior official in the government a techy himself and spent 3 hours showing
him virtues of Python and Django, hoping that they will change the RFP
terms.

I found out yesterday that the application has to be developed  on a proven
technology like Java,C++ or C#. When I spoke to the gentleman he said his
consultant said that dynamically typed languages are not safe for mission
critical work. The work is far from being mission-critical is another point
altogether.....

> > --
> > ~noufal
> > http://nibrahim.net.in