[BangPypers] Building Python Eggs

Amit k. Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:21:22 CET 2009

Hi all,

I am just learning the basics of building Python eggs using
'setuptools'. What I have is the following code structure in a
top-down fashion:

- demo1.py
- __init.py__
- setup.py
-subpackage1
--__init.py/__

When I execute 'python setup.py bdist_egg' from the top-level
directory which has the 'setup.py' file:

__author__="amit"
__date__ ="$14 Jan, 2009 2:37:34 PM$"

from setuptools import setup,find_packages

setup (
 name = 'EggDemo',
 version = '0.1',
 Summary = 'Just another Python package for the cheese shop',
 author = 'amit',
 author_email = '',
 url = '',
 license = '',
 description= 'Long description of the package',
 platform= '',
 packages = find_packages(),
)

In the resulting, SOURCES.txt file, I have:

setup.py
EggDemo.egg-info/PKG-INFO
EggDemo.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
EggDemo.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
EggDemo.egg-info/top_level.txt
subpackage1/__init__.py

As you can see, the top-level 'demo1.py' is missing, even though I
have a '__init.py__' file there.

The manual at http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools#using-find-packages
makes me believe, this should work. Where am I going wrong?

Best,
Amit

--
Amit Kumar Saha