[BangPypers] Business rule engine in Python

Ankur Gupta ankur at thinklabs.in
Mon Dec 14 07:17:19 CET 2009

On 12/14/09, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>    I have a need to implement a rule engine in Python. I have a database
> which contains some data that needs to be processed based on certain rules
> that can be modified by a non-technical user using a web interface. The two
> things which occur to me are
> 0. a DSL written using some parser generator.

Take a look at ANTLR for making you own DSL Parser. Antlr can generate
your parser in Python using the Python port once the grammer is in
place.

> 1. some subset of python with functions injected into the environment that I
> can eval and decide.
>    IS anyone aware of a library or something that does this kind of thing or
> would it be better if I handrolled one?

Take a look at Machine learning / AI libraries in Python for building
a recommendation system. Incase you are new to this field or want to
learn Collective Intelligence book in Python is a good starting point.

Regards
Ankur Gupta