[BangPypers] Business rule engine in Python

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 06:39:17 CET 2009

Noufal,

We had and have similar requirements. I did some asking at IRC, and the
general recommendation was to write custom modules in Python or store the
rules as conditions in database tables.

We are using the second option and using ORMs its pretty easy to create what
you want, and have been shipping a pretty successful messaging solution,
which has some fairly complex business rules.

I'd suggest you to handroll one

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>   I have a need to implement a rule engine in Python. I have a database
> which contains some data that needs to be processed based on certain rules
> that can be modified by a non-technical user using a web interface. The two
> things which occur to me are
> 0. a DSL written using some parser generator.
> 1. some subset of python with functions injected into the environment that
> can eval and decide.
>   IS anyone aware of a library or something that does this kind of thing or
> would it be better if I handrolled one?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> ~noufal