[BangPypers] Choosing an Editor for Python ???

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 10:22:39 CEST 2007

On 9/15/07, Pradeep Gowda <pradeep at btbytes.com> wrote:
> On 9/15/07, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at thenilgiris.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 15-Sep-07, at 8:52 AM, David wrote:
> >
> > > I need to ask what editors the group recommends for python program
> > > files.
> > >
> > > Will MS Word do the trick or is there a Editor that is better to work
> > > with.
> Assuming that you were not joking when you mentioned MS word :), I
> must assume that you are a newbie to programming.
>
> If you are on windows, you might be better off with Python-win32,
> which gives a nice editor with syntax highlight, code folding, etc.
> (Free)
>
> Pywin32 uses Scintilla library to do the above mentioned tricks. SciTE
> is a very lightweight editor <1MB with excellent support for python.
> Scite also uses scintilla.
>
> You can write program in SciTE and run it interactively by pressing F5
> and see the results in a split pane. I have used it for a long time
> till I left windowz.
>
> Eric3 looks feature rich, but I always found all the menus and
> toolbars more of a distraction.
>
> Vi and Emacs (esp emacs) rock if you are a linux head. But then, Vi
> and Emacs needs a life-style change to get used to ... heh heh...
>
> Oh, I currently use Textmate on my spanky new mac. Still trying to
> un-map my fingers from the emacs bindings though.
>
> So, on windows
>   newbie - win32py or scite
>   master - ?? (will any *master* use windows? </flame bait>)
> [If you are a eclipse user you can try pydev. It has a good set of
> features and is attractive for people who are already used to the
> eclipse ecosystem.]
>
> Linux -
>  newbie - kate, gedit --> eric3
>  master - vi/emacs

There is an excellent X-platform Python editor named Spe (Stani's Python
Editor) which is written in Python using wxPython. It has all the features
of a commercial editor such as autocompletion, autoindentation, syntax
highighting, class explorer and a powerful feature for advanced Python
programmers -> It can generate UML diagrams automatically from your
 source code which can be exported in multiple formats. It even works
 from a USB drive :-)

I used it to great effect while in SpikeSource, my previous company.
Highly recommended.

Read an article on this editor here
=>
http://www.linux.com/articles/56305?tid=109&tid=138