[BangPypers] Certification

Darkseid lorddaemon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:19:55 CEST 2007

Dorai,

I've seen the curriculum of an MCAD and (to some extent) MCSD. I've also
interviewed and reviewed the code of people who've cleared their MCAD's.
Most of them simply fail to measure up because MCADs focus on the
intricacies of implementing something in .Net using the libraries -
something which can usually be figured out simply by Googling or using
MSDN instead of answering a test. What's worse, all the MCAD code
samples implicitly teach some of the worst possible development
practices. They insist on developing in C# like it's VB6 (view driven
development) and misuse what MS claims are web services like nobody's
business (
http://blog.sidu.in/2007/06/best-of-worst-standard-patterns-of.html ). I
wouldn't let these guys anywhere near my code. Neither would I give
someone I was interviewing any extra points simply for having cleared
the MCAD.

AFAIK most language certifications simply ensure that people match up to
the lowest common denominator in that field, something I can trivially
verify by asking a few standard questions. Maybe they're useful for a HR
drone, but are otherwise I'm yet to see any significant value in them.
The only exception is when a certification allows a person to jump on
some industry bandwagon with minimum effort (2 day Scrum master
certification anyone?) - these are truly truly worthless.

Best,
Sidu.
http://blog.sidu.in