[AstroPy] Query for Messier objects in a given region

Doug Burke dburke.gw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 14:42:25 EDT 2021

Jim,

I second Eric's suggestion that you store the database contents for
searches/queries that are not likely to change if possible. I know of one
person who recently had to take down a really useful Astronomy-based web
service because they were being flooded with requests for data just like
the Messier catalog - i.e. something that doesn't change often - which
ended up causing the hosting service to stop supporting it. There's also
the environmental cost of repeatedly requesting information that doesn't
change (something I know my code should be more aware of).

Doug