[AstroPy] ANN: Astropy v4.2 and v4.0.4 releases

Brigitta Sipocz bsipocz at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 14:28:10 EST 2020

Dear All,

On behalf of the Astropy Project, I am pleased to announce the v4.2 release
of astropy, the core Python package for astronomy. This astropy release
supports Python 3.7-3.9 and Numpy 1.17+.

This release includes new functionalities, fixes and improvements for 183
issues, 105 pull requests, from 63 contributors. An overview is provided at
this page:

https://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/whatsnew/4.2.html

For a full list of the changes, please consult the Changelog:

https://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/changelog.html#changelog

To install the new version you can either use pip:

        pip install astropy --upgrade

Or if you are a user of Anaconda, the new version is available both on
their default channel, or on the conda-forge one:

        conda update astropy

Extensive user documentation of Astropy can be found on our website:

http://docs.astropy.org

Along with this new feature release, we have also released v4.0.4 for the
long term support (LTS) branch. This LTS branch will be maintained and
receive regular bugfix releases until the autumn of 2021.

If you use Astropy directly for your work, or as a dependency to
another package, please remember to acknowledge it by citing the
appropriate Astropy paper. For the most up-to-date suggestions, see
the acknowledgement page: https://www.astropy.org/acknowledging.html :

  This research made use of Astropy, a community-developed core Python
  package for Astronomy (Astropy Collaboration, 2018).

As always, please report any issues or problems to our GitHub repository:
https://github.com/astropy/astropy/issues

A big thank you to everybody who contributed!

All the best,
 Brigitta Sipőcz