[AstroPy] Distortion coefficients - FITS Header of an image

Daniel Evans d.f.evans at keele.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 11:30:50 EDT 2016

I believe he was referring to the manufacturer of your astrometry software
(PinPoint), not Astropy.

As far as I can tell, the TRi_j entries are not part of the FITS WCS
definition, nor are they part of the proposed WCS Distortion representation
system. Many of the WCS projections and proposed distortion functions use
inputs stored in the header as i_j values, but your header doesn't seem to
specify what function the TRi_j values are inputs for.

To use the values, you would have to find out what function PinPoint is
using for distortion correction. However, I doubt astropy.wcs will be very
helpful for using that distortion correction, as it only handles FITS
headers following the WCS standard.

Regards,
Daniel