[AstroPy] ANN: Sherpa v4.8.0 released

Slavin, Jonathan jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 29 08:53:18 EST 2016

​Hi Doug,

I'm happy to hear of the improvements to Sherpa, though I'm disappointed
that it's not compatible with matplotlib 1.5 and Numpy 1.10.  Do you expect
to overcome those incompatibilities soon?  I use anaconda, so to use Sherpa
at this point, I suppose I'd need to create an environment for it with
those different versions of matplotlib and numpy.

Regards,
Jon​

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 7:00 AM, <astropy-request at scipy.org> wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:36:26 +0000
> From: Doug Burke <dburke.gw at gmail.com>
> To: astropy at scipy.org
> Cc: Aneta Siemiginowska <anetasie at gmail.com>
> Subject: [AstroPy] ANN: Sherpa v4.8.0 released
>
> [It wasn't clear from the docs whether announcements like this are
> supported on the email list; apologies if not]
>
> Dear colleagues,
>
> We are very happy to announce the v4.8.0 release of Sherpa, a Python-based
> fitting and modelling system that has strong support for Astronomy data (in
> particular, X-ray data). Thanks to Zenodo and GitHub its DOI is
> http://dx.doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.45243
>
> Sherpa has recently been moved to an open-development model - with
> development at https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/ - and this release is
> provided to match the functionality in the CIAO 4.8.0 release.
>
> Release notes are available at
> https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/releases/tag/4.8.0 and include improved
> functionality (e.g. the addition of the "wstat" statistic introduced by
> XSPEC for incorporating a background when using Poisson statistics and
> improvements to the interface to the XSPEC user models) as well as
> improvements to the build and organisation of the module (e.g. improved
> docstrings).
>
> We provide Linux and OS-X packages for users of the Anaconda Python
> Distribution,
>
> $ conda config --add channels https://conda.binstar.org/sherpa
> $ conda install sherpa
>
> Or source code can be downloaded from
> https://github.com/sherpa/sherpa/tags
>
> One known issue with this release (which is fixed in the master branch) is
> that it can not be used with version 1.5 of matplotlib. It is, as far as we
> know, compatible with recent releases of AstroPy!
>
> Further information can be found at http://cxc.harvard.edu/contrib/sherpa/
> and
> we look forward to any input you have. Please feel free to forward this
> announcement to anyone who you feel would be interested in this release.
>
> For the Sherpa core development team,
> Doug Burke

Jonathan D. Slavin                 Harvard-Smithsonian CfA
jslavin at cfa.harvard.edu       60 Garden Street, MS 83
phone: (617) 496-7981       Cambridge, MA 02138-1516
cell: (781) 363-0035             USA