[AstroPy] aplpy.FITSFigure only works from ipython --pylab

Jazmin Berlanga Medina jazmin.berlanga at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:48:55 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I've tried posting this topic to the APLpy users group on Google, but the
posting has failed (and I see no threads at all on their page, so the group
may be inactive or having issues with their page).

Is there a reason why aplpy.FITSFigure's display would work only from
ipython called with the --pylab option, but not from the python interpreter
or from a script called at the command line (or ipython not called with
--pylab)?

I can get the commands in my script to show me a display when I invoke
Python with ipython --pylab, but not in any other circumstance.  I've tried
combing through APLpy's documentation and googling for a connection between
pylab/aplpy, but I can't find anything.  I need to be able to call this
function from a script or otherwise be able to script plots on top of FITS
files, and a simple addition of import pylab does not work.

Contents of program:

#!/usr/bin/env python

import aplpy

fig = aplpy.FITSFigure('2.100Gyr_crop.fit')

fig.show_grayscale()

Thanks!
Jazmin

--