[AstroPy] iraf's imexamine equivalent in python

RayS rays at blue-cove.com
Sat Oct 19 22:26:49 EDT 2013

At 01:56 PM 10/18/2013, Joe Philip Ninan wrote:

>6)use matplotlib to plot those results.
>
>I am not much happy with using matplotlib's imshow to display fits images.
>Is there any other display (like ds9) which provides MouseEvents ?

I normally develop with wxPython, which is fully event driven - I
write a lot of interactive spectrograms etc.

>The 3d surface plots in matplotlib, i have found to be very slow
>when the matrix is very large.
>Even imshow is not very fast for large fits images.

3D plots in MPL are horribly slow for 1kx2k waterfalls or
spectrograms. I switched to openGL / Mayavi (mine is from Enthought).
http://docs.enthought.com/mayavi/mayavi/building_applications.html
I have an above derived 3D spectrogram example online:
http://rjs.org/Python/mayavi_test.zip
The initial render is slow with a full array of 2048x785 and hogs
500MB ram, but once the vertexes etc are in the GPU manipulation is instant.
There is a bug with VTK you need to mod in the install
https://github.com/enthought/mayavi/issues/52
I'd love to see others' Mayavi 3D code...