[AstroPy] ESA Summer of Code in Space 2013

Thøger Emil Rivera-Thorsen thoger.emil at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 17:24:14 EDT 2013

On 20-06-2013 18:27, Erik Tollerud wrote:
> I want to issue a generic plea on this issue: lets do our best to join
> forces.
I think everyone has agreed that the specutils should be an affiliated
package, resting as heavily as possible on astropy core.

> There are already a number of tools that do part of spectrum
> plotting and line-fitting, and if we'd all work together, with less
> effort we'd have a tool that does all of those and more.   That's the
> main point of Astropy, after all: encouraging collobaration on and
> re-use of python tools for astronomy.  I'm partly guilty here, as I
> have a similar fitting tool in astropysics -
> http://pythonhosted.org/Astropysics/gui/spylot.html, but I'd rather
> encourage people to use a tool that we can all get behind. I'll  call
> this the "Astropy spirit" :)
I have tried spylot myself and liked it, but it didn't match my needs
and I found it easier to code my own thing than modify yours, which I
actually considered. But I think that the idea has resonated so well is
exactly that many of us have made an effort to create something, but
kinda-sorta only made it halfway to something generally usable. That
gives us a lot of design ideas floating around and a lot of coding and
designing experience to exchange, but I believe the wise thing to do
would be to build something simple but modular and extensible that
integrates well with and makes strong use of astropy core. So I believe
we are actually on the same page here.

> That said, I see the virtue of designing a new tool (ideally an
> astropy affiliated package) to combine the shared wisdom (perhaps with
> SOCIS, if it goes through). But the *worst* thing to have happen is to
> have the other efforts continue in parallel, with everyone designing
> similar but slightly incompatible tools.
We shall not disagree about that point, either!

> Along similar lines, Emil and Adam (although I think Adam already
> knows about it), I'd *strongly* encourage you to take a look at the
> astropy modeling framework
> (http://docs.astropy.org/en/latest/modeling/index.html) - this will be
> in the next major release, and I'd hate to see you re-implementing all
> of that in an incompatible way. Or, if you don't like something about
> how that works for your needs, please help us make it better!

I am more discussing design and not going to be much of a coding work
horse, as my summer and fall is quite swamped - but again, I completely
agree and it is also my impression that this was the general consensus
between anyone who's shown interest in the project.

I am, however, going to continue working on my own personal app, since
it is highly specialized and I am tayloring it for a specific science
project and I think chances are low that astropy will be usable for that
within the time frame I need. But while writing it, there are also some
more common functionality that I have written into it that could
possibly be useful for an astropy affiliated package - e.g. a Traits GUI
for interactively building compound lie profiles.

Cheers,
Emil