[AstroPy] SOFA license letter (draft)

Jonathan T. Niehof jniehof at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 18 16:37:02 EDT 2013

On 04/18/2013 02:26 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
> "You shall not cause the SOFA software to be brought into disrepute,
> either by misuse, or use for inappropriate tasks, or by inappropriate
> modification."

Reminds me of the "software shall be used for good" problem:
http://wonko.com/post/jsmin-isnt-welcome-on-google-code

Being cute in license agreements usually causes headaches.

I agree that petitioning from the community is a good idea. It may be
worth including the track record of existing licenses. As
very-much-not-a-lawyer, boilerplate contracts with history make me
happier. Thanks for the draft, Tom.

--
Jonathan Niehof
ISR-3 Space Data Systems

Phone: 505-667-9595
email: jniehof at lanl.gov

Correspondence /
Technical data or Software Publicly Available