[AstroPy] [astropy-dev] Coordinates subpackage - request for help

Scott Ransom sransom at nrao.edu
Thu Nov 15 21:41:49 EST 2012

Hey All,

Many of you probably know this, but there I made a f2py wrap of the
Fortran version of SLALIB several years ago which is available here.  It
would be a good 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) check...

https://github.com/scottransom/pyslalib

Scott

On 11/15/2012 12:43 PM, Perry Greenfield wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2012, at 12:27 PM, Thomas Robitaille wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be great to have a PyAST version of the testing
>> script in addition to the IDL one. I think it's fair to say that
>> people trust AST (possibly even more than the IDL routines!).
>>
>> As for accuracy, I think we should aim for <0.01" initially - the
>> rationale being that 1" accuracy won't be very useful for e.g. HST
>> observations. In the long term, I would argue that microsecond
>> accuracy would be desirable.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Tom
>>
> Agreed! And if David can help contribute to that (in any way), I think that would be great (there is obviously a wealth of experience there). The nice thing about the pyAST comparison is that this can all be done in Python without needing an IDL License.
>
> Perry

Scott M. Ransom            Address:  NRAO
Phone:  (434) 296-0320               520 Edgemont Rd.
email:  sransom at nrao.edu             Charlottesville, VA 22903 USA
GPG Fingerprint: 06A9 9553 78BE 16DB 407B  FFCA 9BFA B6FF FFD3 2989