[AstroPy] Announcing astroML version 0.1

Jake Vanderplas vanderplas at astro.washington.edu
Thu Nov 1 14:22:04 EDT 2012

Hello,
I've just released a new Python astronomy package called astroML:
machine learning and data mining for astronomy & astrophysics. It's
built on numpy, scipy, scikit-learn and matplotlib, and implements
several more astronomical data mining and machine learning techniques
from the literature.  It also includes loaders for several interesting
data sets (many from SDSS, but there are others as well).  Importantly,
it has an extensive set of example code & plots showing how these data &
algorithms can be used & visualized.  You can download the released code
and see all 200+ examples at:

     http://astroML.github.com/

My hope is for astroML to become a community repository for well-written
algorithms & examples of data analysis in astronomy, and be a useful
resource for both research and teaching. I think this vision is
complementary to the vision of astropy, and I hope the two packages can
together encourage Python as the lingua franca of astronomical research.

The development version of the astroML code can be found on github at
http://github.com/astroML/.  I would appreciate any feedback or
suggestions - thanks!

    Jake VanderPlas