[AstroPy] Practical Python for Astronomers web tutorial

Chris Sontag sontag at stsci.edu
Fri May 27 12:26:35 EDT 2011

Hi all,

I'm jumping in just for the PyRAF/IRAF question.  If you are running PyRAF in order to run IRAF tasks (which is very likely), then you will want IRAF installed.

IRAF can be installed separately from Scisoft, however, if that is your wish.  It can be downloaded from iraf.net, or binary installers for OSX are also available from:  http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyraf/stsci_python/current/download

Lastly, for PyRAF, there is a stand-alone installation download (IRAF not included):  http://www.stsci.edu/resources/software_hardware/pyraf/current/download, which includes the latest version of PyRAF not available within Scisoft.

If you are having difficulty starting/running PyRAF, please send any questions (with any output or errors found) to help at stsci.edu.

Chris