[AstroPy] Practical Python for Astronomers web tutorial

August (Gus) Muench gmuench at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed May 25 03:31:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

Sadly, Joe, despite all the docs work, the assertion that numpy docs
are clean of 'from numpy import *' excepts immediately.  A new user
following this reasonable link path has namespace garbage heaps before
they even get past example #1:

http://numpy.scipy.org/  => "NumPy Tutorial"
http://www.scipy.org/Tentative_NumPy_Tutorial => "The Basics: An example"
http://www.scipy.org/Tentative_NumPy_Tutorial#head-c5f4ceae0ab4b1313de41aba9104d0d7648e35cc

:)

I also think that audience matters a lot.  IRAF namespaces are
obfuscated away and its driven me crazy that CIAO/Sherpa are devoid of
namespace but if those users are in the audience then short of
preaching (which is always pedagogically inappropriate) what is one to
do?

[Heretic warning]  Finally, who cares if someone else can't read your
code? Its about audience.  The audience for my reduction script is me
(and maybe I should use namespaces so I can retrace what I did).  If I
wish to share it then I'm either going to be ignored on github, voted
down on stackoverflow or run into collaborators anger or experience
pedagogical problems if its crappy (and maybe even namespace free).

    - Gus

--
August Muench
Astrophysicist & Friend of the Virtual Observatory
gmuench at cfa.harvard.edu
(617) 495-7979
@augustmuench