[AstroPy] Deployment and packaging

Prasanth oneaufs at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 04:24:21 EDT 2011

Hello,

I strongly agree with Matt Davis and Thomas Robitaille here.

Many of the packages like asciidata, vo.table, ATpy, APLpy, stsci_python
etc., are easier to install, if we have a distribution that satisfies the
basic requirements.

Right now I think the easiest way for a non expert person with no root
access to quickly get started with using Python, is by first downloading
EPD/Python(x,y) and then the astronomy package of interest. If there is an
EPD like free package with most of the core dependencies, not specifically
astronomy related, then it might be easier for a wider range of non expert
users to get started easily.

As Matt points out, this could possibly help other user communities as well.

Prasanth