[AstroPy] proposal for astropy version control software and respository

Matthew Turk matthewturk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 09:49:49 EDT 2011

Hi all,

For what it is worth, enzo and yt are both astrophysics projects and
both use and love mercurial; the buy-in feels to be much lower than
that of git, it's much more straightforward, and extensions are very,
very easy to write.  The primary hg hosting solution, BitBucket, has
substantially improved pull requests and other collaborative features
recently, and this has I believe brought it in line with GitHub in
many ways.

One point I feel very strongly about is that under no circumstances
should a scientific code make a habit of 'rewriting history' or
changing the hash numbers of existing revisions.  This would, for
instance, be part of a rebase-based workflow with git or on github.
hg discourages rewriting history, but it seems quite prevalent with
git.  So even if git/github is chosen as a platform, I sincerely hope
that a workflow that does not change existing revision numbers in any
published repository is selected.

Best,

Matt