[AstroPy] POLL: vision for a common Astronomy package

Matt Davis mrdavis at stsci.edu
Fri Jul 8 09:02:32 EDT 2011

> That's why I am propagating to make the installation as seamless as
> possible: use the standard package management system that is provided by
> the system as default.

I'll just point out as food for thought that Macs do not have a package management system provided by the system and the third party package managers that exist tend to be under-populated and/or not work very well. As a Mac user package managers are not my first choice for installing software.

Something else that has come up on this mailing list recently is that package managers often require admin privileges which a lot of institutional users do not have.

Best,

Matt Davis