[AstroPy] PyFits not reading END value from header?

Gerard Fitzpatrick Gerard.Fitzpatrick at ucdconnect.ie
Mon Apr 4 18:48:28 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I've run into a small problem with pyfits. I am not sure if this is a problem or simply down to my ignorance!

I am reading in  a header and table data from one file, then appending it to another. The code throws an error: IOError: Header missing END card. I can print the header and see that it is missing the End value. I have tried this on three different fits files and continually run into the same problem, this leads me to suspect that there is a subtlety that I am missing.

I am using version 2.3.1 on ubuntu 10.10

The code is something like this:

import pyfits as pf

file='blah.fits'
fits_file=pf.open(file)
hdr_1=fits_file[1].header
table_1=fits_file[1].data
fits_file.close()
pf.update('test.fits',table_1,hdr_1)

In place of pf.update I have also tried pf.append & pf.writeto.

Regards,