[AstroPy] Summer scholar

Rene Breton superluminique at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 13:44:58 EDT 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

Coord base class might be interesting, though I'm not entirely sure to
know what you have in mind. Is it stuff like planar projections,
precession, coordinate transformations, etc.? Obviously, if that's
something that you need and want to see, I'd say go for it.

Something that I see as relatively important, in the view of what IDL's
astrolib does, are tools to deal with photometry and spectroscopy. I
know that some people are fans of sextractor. I don't know to what
extent it is good and whether or not we should put efforts somewhere
else but it's definitely worth thinking. PSF photometry, both from an
analytical (arbitrary) function and from a template array, would be very
appealing, I think. Same kind of thinking should go toward spectroscopy.

Rene