[AstroPy] Co-ordinating Python astronomy libraries?

Mubdi Rahman rahman at astro.utoronto.ca
Sat Jul 3 11:57:07 EDT 2010

Hi James and AstroPy colleagues,

Thanks for the note - coordinating the astronomical python community has been a long time coming, and I'm glad that someone's taken the initiative to start this line of communication.

Last year, a number of us located here in Toronto started pyAstroLib, with the goal of converting the NASA IDL Astronomy Library into Python. We roadmapped the course of doing an initial conversion of the entire library, with the exception of scripts that already have python equivalents (i.e. those provided by pyFits, et cetera). In the case of existing functionality, the documentation of pyAstroLib would point users in the direction of the tools that do the equivalent.

We further roadmapped a plan to go beyond the structure of the IDL AstroLib (we were calling the direct python conversion of these libraries the "legacy" library), and developing a more structured, streamlined and less redundant general purpose astronomy library, so as to make entry into the world of astronomical python as painless as possible. Beyond this stage, we had a number of dream-goals, including a lightweight python-based replacement to DS9 with a more intuitive UI (think Adobe Photoshop), which could be used as a standalone package or embedded within other python scripts.

We had a number of design requirements for the library:
- The library was to be fully open-source (we chose the LGPL as our model).
- The library was to require as few external libraries as necessary (we've limited ourselves to NumPy, SciPy, PyFits, and MatPlotLib).
- The library was intended to be seamlessly cross-platform. Personally, I'm a Linux/Windows user, where as some of the others in our collaboration are pure Mac or pure Linux users.

We realized that at some point, the project would merge with a number of others out there, and our goal was to have a bit of a code base before we started expanding and merging.  Needless to say, we were ambitious.

That was a year ago.

In that time, we had started the conversion process - a large number of the general IDL astronomical functions have been converted (as one can pull from our git repo on sourceforge), complete with docstrings, but without extensive testing. But as is always the case, each of us individually became more concerned about the functionality that we needed for our research. For instance, much of my reliance on IDL has been due to the coordinate conversion functions - so I had just ported that part of wcslib into python. (The other half of my reliance on IDL has come from the pixel to wcs coordinate transformations and the image manipulation and alignment scripts, which I'm currently working on).

We've also been receiving a lot of contributed code for a variety of tools and functions that other users have needed. Up till now, we haven't had a place to put this code. Now considering the path that this project has taken, we're moving in a different direction, which is to round up the contributed code, even if it doesn't actually fit in the IDL AstroLib framework, give it a common API, and just get people using it as is for now, and slowly categorize and refine the code in subsequent releases.

That's basically where we are with pyAstroLib. I hope this clears up some of the confusion and helps coordinating effort.

Mubdi Rahman

on behalf of the pyAstroLib crew.