[AstroPy] IDL to Python Switchers Guide

Anthony Smith anthonysmith80 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 05:29:10 EDT 2010

Hi Kelle,

This looks great - very useful page.

I don't know whether it's worth adding to that particular page, but
it's worth pointing out to would-be IDL-to-Python switchers that is it
possible to make the transition gradually, as there are ways of
linking Python to IDL.  I don't think these are perfect, but they
avoid things like "I would use Python but I absolutely must use
someObscureFunction.pro so I'll stick with IDL".  Here are a couple:

http://www.cacr.caltech.edu/~mmckerns/software.html
= pyIDL - haven't been able to install it myself, but looks great

http://astronomy.sussex.ac.uk/~anthonys/pidly/
= pIDLy - my own routine, perhaps easier to set up than pyIDL, but can
be slow/inefficient when processing a lot of data.

... and there are others out there.

All the best,

Anthony