[AstroPy] Books on pylab, scipy, ...?

Johann Cohen-Tanugi cohen at lpta.in2p3.fr
Fri Feb 19 18:36:16 EST 2010

Wayne Watson wrote:
> Thanks very much for your description.  From what I can pull out of
> the book via Amazon makes me think it would be more useful than
> anything I've found on the web.  I'm very familiar with math and stat
> methods, so that's of minimal interest to understanding how the
> packages plan together.
>
> To tighten up my knowledge on these subjects, I plan to go to a
> monthly PUG meeting San Francisco Bay Area next week to talk to live
> people about these matters and others. It's 180 miles from here, but I
> still have family and friends there, so  problem with distance.
>
> What prompted me to post this message is matplotlib.  I began
> earnestly considering its plot facility, plain plot (line plot) in
> pyplot, about 2 weeks ago. I immediately got stuck on what I would
> call the weird behavior of show(). In time, I got that under control
> and discovered some highly usable parts of matplotlib. I am still new
> to it, but see the benefits.
>
> About two  days ago, I looked at the plot and decided it needed to
> have a large circle drawn around it. The plot is the somewhat zig-zag
> plot of a all-sky camera I use, and the data captured by it, track
> points. The circle would represent the horizon that camera sees. As
> far as I know, there's no way to draw a circle, except one. Put a
> large marker at the center point of the pixels where the zenith would
> be. It'll work, but left me thinking why I couldn't just draw it in
> some "normal" way. That made me wonder if I was seeing the whole
> picture of scipy, pylab, and so on. However, I've begun getting
> familiar with them now.
matplotlib has patch objects for common geometrical figures. You have to
pass them to a "axis" object as patch objects. So for instance the
following should work :
from matplotlib import pylab as plt
from matplotlib.patches import Circle
cir = Circle( (0.5,0.5), radius=0.2)
f=plt.figure()
a=f.gca()
a.add_patch(cir)
plt.show()

a bit contrived, so there might be more direct ways to get it....
Johann