[AstroPy] Moving Ahead with Raw Image Conversion

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 14 11:49:43 EDT 2009

Thanks. I see they have a tutorial. I wish it were in pdf format. I like
to read from paper. It looks like the tutorial is probably painless,
maybe a 30 min read. If I get desperate, I could convert it to a pdf
with Acrobat. :-)

I see this intriguing comment, "In addition, on this webpage, you can
improve the docs!" There is mention that some of the docs are out of
date. That's ripe for a soap box comment from me about the general
documentation on the web. It seems writing and improving code is far
more important than keeping documentation up to date. In some commercial
products they seem driven by keeping up with the competition, expecting
the user to ferret out new features via program Help. It happens in the
non-commercial world too, but for different reasons. OK, I'll stop now. :-)

Anne Archibald wrote:
> 2009/4/13 Wayne Watson <sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>:
>
>> Hi, not familiar with much of anything in numpy, then again, I'm not anxious
>> to read through the 300+ page manual. :-)
>>

> The manual is not the place to start. I'd look at several of the
> tutorials listed at http://www.scipy.org/Documentation . Even if their
> connection to what you want to do is not immediately obvious, they
> will give you a better idea of the easiest way to work with numerical
> arrays in python.

           All the neutrons, and protons in the human body occupy
           a cube whose side is 5.52*10**-6 meters (tiny!). That
           adds up to a 150 pound person. It's not a surprise that
           we are mostly space. (Calculation by WTW)