[AstroPy] astrolib for Python

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Wed Jan 12 16:03:30 EST 2005

STScI is starting to develop tools akin to those found in the IDL
ASTRON library (aside from FITS, which we already have). We would like
this to be as open and inclusive a process as possible and will host it
at the http://scipy.org site as an open source project. We welcome
comments, ideas, and, especially, code, testing, and documentation
contributions. At this point our effort is preliminary (we are just
getting underway). Rather than post a lengthy email, I'll refer those
that are interested to wiki pages (rooted at:
http://www.scipy.org/wikis/topical_software/AstroLib) set up for the
purpose of recording ideas about the project. We've already put some of
our early thoughts about how to approach this on these wiki pages

I expect that much of the discussion will use the astropy mailing list,
but that detailed arguments, rationales, conclusions, and such will be
added to the wiki pages.

Our initial work is focusing on handling FITS WCS and then general
astronomical coordinates. At the moment I've labeled the effort
astrolib but we are open to better names.

Perry Greenfield