[python-advocacy] How programming language webpages should be designed

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Nov 8 23:22:56 CET 2009

Brad Allen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Michael Tobis <mtobis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The front page examples ought to be few and brief and ought to work
>> without alteration in both 2.6 and 3.1 .
>>

> +1
>
> We're talking about simple examples for beginners so this shouldn't be
> a problem. For example, the Python 3 syntax for print statements also
> works in Python 2.6.
>
> print('hello world')

But that's not how you should teach print in Python 2.6 - and it will
break as soon as you add commas (you will then be printing a tuple). I'm
in favour of adding a simple code example to the front page, but we
should pick Python 2.6 or 3 and label it as such.

Personally I think we should promote Python 3, but I wouldn't be against
2.6.

All the best,

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/