[python-advocacy] Packaging usage survey ?

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Wed Mar 26 11:37:04 CET 2008

Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> The threads in packaging-related topics that were going on in the last
> few days in python-dev, catalog-sig and distutils-sig, made me feel
 > like think there's a lack of shared knowledge about how people work
 > out there.

I definitely agree with you - we can't design a solution when we don't even
know the exact problem.  It's amazing the different perspectives I'm reading.
  I'm working on summarizing them down into a meaningful set, finding the
common elements.

> I think a community survey could be interesting to know how people work,
> how they distribute their Python code, what works well for them and what
 > is painful.

Coming up with a meaningful set of questions will be some effort.

> And this survey would need to be wider than the developers that reads
> the python mailing lists,

Reaching those not on the core mailing lists is also very difficult - so many
people don't read any lists or join any usergroups.  The survey would need to
be open for some time, to collect those inputs.  But it is an interesting idea.

-Jeff