[python-advocacy] Python Libraries for Engineers

Michael Pittaro mikeyp at snaplogic.org
Fri Jul 4 21:46:39 CEST 2008

Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> coming from the web development department of the Python Community I
> would like to know which are the most important libraries or Python
> projects for engineers.
>
> Background of my questrion: One of my clients wants to support Open
> Source Software if it is suitable for engineers.
>
> Thanks!
> juh

The Enthought Python Distribution (http://www.enthought.com/products/epd.php) bundles a
number of the common packages used in scientific computing, and is the closest thing I'm
aware of to a reference for an 'engineering' installation.  This distribution was
announced at PyCon 2008.

Another good reference for scientific libraries is the Python Wiki Page at:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/NumericAndScientific

--
Mike Pittaro
Co-Founder                      Snaplogic, Inc.