[python-advocacy] Notes from OSCON (July 2007)

David Goodger goodger at python.org
Thu Sep 20 17:34:33 CEST 2007

Below are notes I took at OSCON in July.  They've been sitting in a
file for too long; time to let them out.  There are lots of good ideas
here.  Most did *not* come from me, but I didn't record many names.

We had two Birds of a Feather sessions, one specifically on advocacy
(intended perhaps to coordinate advocacy *at* OSCON, but not much
happened), and one on general Python topics.  Also I had conversations
with individuals.

-- David Goodger

Advocacy BoF (2007-07-23)
-------------------------

Present: David Goodger, Mike Pittaro (SnapLogic), Kevin Altis, Stephen
Li (Motorola), Jason Kirtland (Portland PUG), Mike Biglan, Steve
Wagner, Suran Thrift

* conferences will give free booth space to dot-orgs

* Python as "secret weapon" -- unknown? -- lots of code out there

  - s/b advocate's focus?

* flyers & materials for conferences

* Python: clean simple powerful agile readable maintainable
  (a lasting & wise investment)

* ILM -- sponsor PyCon 2008?

* stickers -- multiple slogans, colors

  - Python programmers having fun

* cheat sheet

* core message -- use Python: Why?

* target audience

  - programmers - convert
  - managers - interest
  - newbies/students - choose
  - teachers - lesson plans

* advocate has to have a positive $ effect

  - spend $ to get $

* "Who else uses Python?"

* awareness

* branding -- push to corporations

* Motorola -- limited power, memory.  Pointed to Nokia S60 work.

* success stories -- promote more.  What is compelling?  Special?

* literature -- consumable, well written

* pay PR/marketing?  expensive

* HP/Compaq sponsor?

* "Python is like the shy kid who has been living on the block for 10
  years but nobody knows him."

* home page rotation -- dynamic

  - monitor/measure click-throughs -- analysis

* feedback form on website

* improve docs -- pay for Django docs?

* 5 minute demos

  - "wow"
  - showmedo
  - 10 topics
  - be inclusive
  - don't alienate projects not chosen

* best of lightning talks on showmedo?

* python web development page

* wsgi -- roll into Apache's std. dist (+ mod_python)

* need ambassador to Apache?  (Greg Stein?)

* Trac -- killer app

* donation push

* PyCon session: develop strategic vision for Python & PSF

  - spread the word
  - share the language, share the love

* PyCon blog: fee structure -- transparent

* CS majors in Chicago -- free registration in exchange for
  volunteering -- write up key points in lightning talks

* record/capture lightning talks

Hallway Track
-------------

* Mark Shuttleworth via Kevin Altis: Python should be emphasizing Zope
  to the enterprise

OSCON-specific
--------------

Notes for 2008 etc.

* conferences will give free booth space to dot-orgs

* OSCON proposal submission -- announcement was late

* Kevin Altis led Python track for OSCON -- lack of feedback

* proposal info ready by end December

* proposal submission system Jan-Feb

* focus: tutorials & top sessions

Python BoF (2007-07-25)
-----------------------

* counter negative snake stereotypes -- embrace the snake

  - pythons have no teeth

* perception of lack of Python programmers

  - counter with training creative programmers in 1 week

* "Code smackdown"

* prototyping -- the freedom to throw away code

* "scripting language" vs. interpreted

  - Python is an application language, vs. C/C++/Java/C# which are
    system languages

* concurrency projects:

  - BBC/Chameleon
  - Hive
  - shared memory module for Python?
  - SQLite queues (in memory)

* "It's not the language, it's the library."

* monkey patching -- seen as both good & bad thing -- embraced in Ruby

I asked "What can the PSF do for you?  (users groups, advocacy, etc.)"