[python-advocacy] Python at MIT

Brad Allen brad at allendev.com
Sat Nov 3 22:07:55 CET 2007

At 6:17 AM -0400 11/2/07, Catherine Devlin wrote:
>There was some exciting news about a year ago that MIT was going to
>experiment with a new EE/CS curriculum that would start with Python.
>
>Looking around the department webpage today, it looks like the new
>curriculum is fully armed, operational, and being used to control
>killer robots as we speak!  I haven't heard anything more about it in
>the Python community, though.  Did I miss something?
>
>Various links at
>http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/2007/11/python-at-mit.html
>
>Who can fill in details?  "Every MIT CS grad a Pythonista" - what a boon!

I've posted your blog at digg.com, Catherine.

http://digg.com/programming/Python_used_for_MIT_Intro_Computer_Science_course

Like you, I still meet business decision makers who have never heard
of Python and need to be convinced. This is a great piece of
conversational ammo for those situations.

The more advanced courses don't specify the languages used, while the
intro compsci course description makes a point of it. Maybe someone
is trying to sneak in a little Python advocacy...