[python-advocacy] What to write next?

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Fri May 18 18:34:45 CEST 2007

A.M. Kuchling wrote:
> I'd like to take up another writing task from the list at
> <http://wiki.python.org/moin/AdvocacyWritingTasks>, and am wondering
> which one would be the highest-priority.
>
> "What is Python?" would probably be the most widely useful one -- I
> bet most of the planned advocacy kits would contain it -- but isn't
> there already a draft of it among the assets on the advocacy site?

This is needed and certainly would be good to update / merge various
things out there.

> I was thinking one of the suggested language comparisons would be most
> useful... but are the Java or the Ruby ones the most useful at this
> point in time?  Personally I'd lean toward the Java ones -- the Java
> community is quite large, and getting a tiny percentage of more Jython
> users is better than heading off a few Ruby users.

I also think focusing on Java is better... if it's true that Ruby's growth
is from people moving away from Java it'll possibly head off a few Ruby users
anyway ;-).

> Or would one of the scientific tasks (matlab comparison, graphing) be
> better?  Jeff, I'm especially interested in what you think, but will
> listen to everyone's opinion.

Python already does pretty well in scientific applications, and that
crowd may not respond as well to any sort of additional advocacy
material as compared with Java users.

- Stephan