[python-advocacy] Pycon

Stephan Deibel sdeibel at wingware.com
Tue Feb 27 17:58:32 CET 2007

On Feb 27, 2007, at 9:28 AM, DeanG wrote:
> One outlet of Person of the Year is the O'Reilly Frank Willison Award
> given at OSCON.
>
> In the last few years it's gotten less attention and could use an
> Advocacy or PSF contact person.

Yes, although it's at OSCON and not PyCon so would be good to have
something
at PyCon if someone is willing to take the lead on this.  Feel free
to contact me to
arrange some sort of prizes paid for by the PSF.

BTW, at PyCon I found out that O'Reilly apparently thinks the
Willison Award is
supposed to be a PSF thing, and apparently last year's recipient
never got any
sort of paper or plaque or anything.  This may be confusion from the
many changes
of who is the main Python contact at O'Reilly.  I've never been to
OSCON so don't
know how it was presented in the past.  Clearly needs to be fixed --
don't use that
as a model for how any PyCon-time award is done! ;-)

In fact if someone wants to manage both awards, that would be great.
This is one of
those items that the PSF board hasn't had time to do a good job with
and each of
the last years it's been a last minute thing.

-

Stephan Deibel
Chairman of the Board
Python Software Foundation