[python-advocacy] Python Advocacy in India

Prateek Sureka surekap at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 15:20:17 CET 2007

Hi Jeff,

We met yesterday at Pycon after your talk on advocacy. My
organization Brainwave (www.brainwavelive.com) does the bulk of its
development in Python.
Our product is a database+web stack entirely built on Python, for
building enterprise web applications.

As such we spend a lot of time not only trying to recruit good Python
developers but also providing training to our customers (application/
solution development firms like Satyam Computers) and trying to raise
awareness for Python in the enterprise. The fact that we have a
commercial product and support infrastructure around it enables us to
capture the ear and influence IT departments of large corporations
and also other medium-large development firms who are still
mainly .NET or Java shops.

The India development center of Brainwave has been engaged in this
effort for some time and so far the biggest problem has been working
in isolation. We would like to connect ourselves with the greater
Python community and draw on the resources and the existing advocacy
engine to further the cause of Python in India. This could include
volunteers who are traveling to India who know a lot to offer to hold
a lecture/meeting talking about how they used Python, showcasing
success stories, organizing code-fests etc etc. We also have the
ability to lobby the Indian Institute of Technology and get interns
to work on projects of our choice - another area where you may be
able to help.

Please let me know how we can take things forward.

thanks,

Prateek Sureka
Chief Technology Architect
Brainwave LLC