[python-advocacy] Thought: Using LinkedIn to reward open-source developers

Jeff Rush jeff at taupro.com
Thu Aug 16 07:00:44 CEST 2007

Stephan Deibel wrote:
> Aahz wrote:
>> Actually, I just this week joined LinkedIn (baaaaaaaa!), and I've been
>> noticing that a lot of people are linking to others at the "acquaintance"
>> level, where my impression was that you were only supposed to link to
>> people when you know them better.  What kind of policies are people using
>> to decide whether to link to someone?

I link to those with whom I've interacted, and whose backgrounds mesh in some
way.  "Linking to" someone is different from "recommending" someone, both of
which you can do.  The latter is when you know them better, in my opinion.
Linking just means they're part of an extended professional network.  And some
people (some in the local business network parties) link to anyone in a game
to achieve the max count of linked people.  I believe the top two people on
linkedin.com overall are from this monthly Dallas business party, but I don't
consider that collecting links to strangers really counts.

I need to do more recommendations myself, to highlight those people I know are
extraordinary.

-Jeff