Python 2.7.6 was released on November 10, 2013. This is a 2.7 series bugfix release. Most importantly, it resolves an issue that caused the interactive prompt to crash on OS X 10.9. It also includes numerous bugfixes over 2.7.5.
This is a production release. Please report any bugs you encounter.
We currently support these formats for download:
- Windows x86 MSI Installer (2.7.6) (sig)
- Windows x86 MSI program database (2.7.6) (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI Installer (2.7.6)  (sig)
- Windows X86-64 MSI program database (2.7.6)  (sig)
- Windows help file (sig)
- Mac OS X 64-bit/32-bit x86-64/i386 Installer (2.7.6) for Mac OS X 10.6 and later  (sig). [You may need an updated Tcl/Tk install to run IDLE or use Tkinter, see note 2 for instructions.]
- Mac OS X 32-bit i386/PPC Installer (2.7.6) for Mac OS X 10.3 and later  (sig).
- XZ compressed source tar ball (2.7.6) (sig)
- Gzipped source tar ball (2.7.6) (sig)
The source tarballs are signed with Benjamin Peterson's key (fingerprint: C01E 1CAD 5EA2 C4F0 B8E3 5715 04C3 67C2 18AD D4FF). The Windows installer was signed by Martin von Löwis' public key, which has a key id of 7D9DC8D2. The Mac installers were signed with Ned Deily's key, which has a key id of 6F5E1540. The public keys are located on the download page.
MD5 checksums and sizes of the released files:
ec3184d886efdc4c679eeaed5f62643b 18244674 python-2.7.6-pdb.zip e4866ce2f277d1f8e41d6fdf0296799d 17458242 python-2.7.6.amd64-pdb.zip b73f8753c76924bc7b75afaa6d304645 16674816 python-2.7.6.amd64.msi ac54e14f7ba180253b9bae6635d822ea 16281600 python-2.7.6.msi ef628818d054401bdfb186a1faa8b5b6 6010777 python276.chm b721f7899e131dfdc0f33d805a90a677 20588267 python-2.7.6-macosx10.3.dmg a2b0f708dcd5e22148e52ae77c6cdd3e 20169125 python-2.7.6-macosx10.6.dmg 1d8728eb0dfcac72a0fd99c17ec7f386 14725931 Python-2.7.6.tgz bcf93efa8eaf383c98ed3ce40b763497 10431288 Python-2.7.6.tar.xz
About the 2.7 release series
Among the features and improvements to Python 2.6 introduced in the 2.7 series are
- An ordered dictionary type
- New unittest features including test skipping, new assert methods, and test discovery
- A much faster io module
- Automatic numbering of fields in the str.format() method
- Float repr improvements backported from 3.x
- Tile support for Tkinter
- A backport of the memoryview object from 3.x
- Set literals
- Set and dictionary comprehensions
- Dictionary views
- New syntax for nested with statements
- The sysconfig module
|||(1, 2) The binaries for AMD64 will also work on processors that implement the Intel 64 architecture (formerly EM64T), i.e. the architecture that Microsoft calls x64, and AMD called x86-64 before calling it AMD64. They will not work on Intel Itanium Processors (formerly IA-64).|
|||(1, 2) There is important information about IDLE, Tkinter, and Tcl/Tk on Mac OS X here.|